I love the New Year and how it helps us evaluate ourselves and our goals. This year while Nate and I sat talking about resolutions, a thousand things poured into my mind. I realized that if I really wanted all these changes I better get on the ball... and for me nothing truly starts with out making a list. So here we go.
First let's evaluate last year's resolutions because you never know where you are going unless you know where you have been.
Eating Healthier
This resolution was based on advice from my doctor. I gave up preservatives in about 75% of my foods, I've had not a single drop of caffeine in about six months, and I use 0 chemical additives in foods and have greatly reduced my chemical intake in general. This I would say is a huge success. While, I really didn't get started until July, I am very proud of how far I have come. I allow my self to cheat on every holiday or event, and over all it has been relatively painless. However, I would still like to try even harder on my healthy eating in 2014.Reading (for my own enjoyment)
I love to read, but last year I notice that I read so many children's books that I never made time for my own books anymore. So, I committed to reading more after the kiddos went to bed. I started a book club and together we read Water For Elephants, The Book Thief, The Vow, Catch Me if You Can, Friendship Bread, Pride and Prejudice, and many others. So this resolution I consider a well enjoyed success.
Being More Honest
This one was not near as easy. I am really, really, good at avoiding the truth. I am not talking about lying, but about avoiding giving my opinion. Someone says something, I completely disagree ... so I change the subject or "smile and nod" (a skill that I have mastered). Nate often tells me that everyone talks to me, but very few people do I actually talk too. He also thinks I am the most private person he has ever met...for a man who doesn't like to talk to the pizza man, I should probably take his observation more seriously. I really did try this year to voice my opinion more, but then I got lazy, realized it causes my biggest fear...confrontation ...and I backed out. So, I guess this is going back on the list this year. Smile and nod, smile and nod.So on to this year...
Positive Self Thinking
I really am a positive person. I love finding the rainbow in the cloud, but when it comes to myself I can be my own worst enemy. I have three amazing kiddos and one wonderful husband who have nothing to gain if I speak negatively about myself. For me, most of the comments are internal. We all have moments where we look in the mirror and notice the bad instead of the good and it damages us. Sure, it may be small but it is not worth it. I never want to pass this trait on to my children... so this year I vow to my family not to negative talk myself. It will be hard, but if it has an affect on my children seeing how amazing they are, it is completely worth the effort.My Stupid Phone
When you start referring to your phone as "my stupid phone" and grumbling when you hear it go off again, it is time for a resolution. Here are the facts. I don't really talk on the phone (but I love too!). My very closest friends I haven't spoke with more then twice this year (except via text and email) and they still are the dearest people to me. I speak to my mom maybe once every week or two, and my sisters usually once a month. My mother in law and I speak more often, but she is far away and a phone (not text) person and I love that. I would feel so disconnected from our family if I did not have time to chat with her. I am thankful to have the kind of friendship with her that we can talk on Monday and still have a ton to say to each other on Wednesday or even an hour later! :) Now, if my phone was simply a phone, that wouldn't add up to much, but my phone is a smart stupid phone. It beeps at me when the weather changes, when the stock market declines, and when the president is about to make an address. It buzzes when my game has more lives, when my pictures are ready, and when the craft store has sent me a coupon. Every moment of the day my phone has something it has deemed worthy of my attention. This year I am deeming that it is not. My resolution is to care less about my phone (not the people calling! but the actual phone apps). If I am visiting with someone, my phone will stay in my purse. If I am at home and interrupts with an app not a call, it will stay on the counter until the kids are off at school or in bed. I'm giving myself back the right to not respond to my phone apps. I have the ability to ignore all those 10,000 updates through out the day and although the flashing screen is always intriguing, whatever it is, will have to wait, because giving attention to those I am with is worth it.
Also, on the lines of phones, I have committed to keeping my phone away while driving. No phone calls (unless the phone is hooked up to the car system), no texts, no news updates, no nothing. It is in my purse and my purse will be on the floor in the passenger seat. So feel free to text, and I'll get back to you once my precious cargo is safely at our destination. I have a ton more to say about how important it is to commit to not using your phone while driving, but maybe that post will have to wait for another day.
Being in the Here and Now
My last resolution is my big one. The one Nate and I have been thinking about the most and talking incessantly. The one I can't get off my mind. This year I am committing to enjoying my year. Sounds ridiculous I know. I am the women of lists (just look at this post). I am always about to do the next thing and instead this year I really want to be content with where I am at. I want to be present in my life and not always bustling about to achieve some unattainable goal. I don't want to be focused on the past or future, just the wonderful now that we have. We live in a world where we can constantly be trying to achieve more and it is exhausting. This year I'm committing to saying NO. No I don't want to do that. No, I don't need to have that. And No, I really don't mind that you disagree. So, here you go...this is our house...these are my children...here is my marriage...this is my pile of dirty laundry... and I am so incredibly content with all of it, that I just want to sit back and enjoy. This year I'm allowing myself the time to practice contentedness, so that I can focus on enjoying my wonderful life, without letting the negative noise or pressure from others and the world keep moving at a ridiculous pace and distract me.
"Happiness is not a matter of intensity, but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony. There are seasons when to be still demands immeasurably higher strength than to act."
So, wish me luck. I hope you all had a wonderful New Years. Did you make any resolutions or goals?




