This Independence day I couldn't help but notice how independent our kids have become. I looked up the definition of Independence and it said "freedom from the control, influence, support, aid, or the like, of others" while they may not be completely independent there are so many moments where I notice how much each one individually has grown in this way.
We have done the same thing on the Fourth of July for as long as I can remember. We go to a parade, we eat burgers off the grill and other yummy food, we play games and we go watch the fireworks together as a family. In years past I had to remind the kids not to go into the road to grab the candy at the parade, warn them that the fireworks were going to be loud, say five slices of watermelon is probably enough or remind them the rules of a game. However, they are all past that age now. They know how these traditions go with out needing any guidance. While the young years were fun I really am enjoying watching them enjoy these special days (or every day) with out needing as much support from me. It is not always easy to let go but the pride I feel by watching them succeed at independent decisions makes it worth it!
![]() |
| The years between this Fourth of July and the one in this picture feel no longer then a blink of an eye. |



