The words "want" and "need" are interchangeable in our society. "I want a bigger TV" very quickly turns into "I need a bigger TV", "I want a larger house" turns into "I need a larger house" and so on. And our children have started the same habit. Saying "We need that..." as they point to a commercial for a toothpaste holder that gets the toothpaste out all the way to the last drop. While Nate and I constantly talk to them about the difference between wanting something and needing something, we understand that this is a lesson that will take a long time to learn. As I listen today to the news of people rushing to the stores to brace for the possible tsunami no one seems to be coming out with TVs, computers, or even the toothpaste holder. They are not lined up at Best Buy or Toys R Us instead they are lined up at the grocery store and buying bottled water, and food. Strange isn't it. What we need is only put into perspective when tragedy may lie ahead of us. There are days when it is easy for us to hear what others might think that my family needs. Our computer is as old as dirt, my washer is on the fritz, there is only one car sitting in my driveway, by societies stand point we definitely need a lot more. But the truth is we need nothing and we are content. No; we are more then content, we are happy. I am happy to have the life that I have and I am extremely thankful for all the abundant blessings that sit inside of our house. I realize that I have more then I need, and while there is still more at the store to buy that doesn't mean that having it will make me any happier then I am right now. The only thing I truly am lacking is a better personal understanding of the difference between the words want and need on a daily basis.
Our Latest Stories
The things we remember are what we hold on to. And what we hold on to becomes the story of our lives.
Search
Popular posts
Labels
A
AJ
amusement park
anniversary
apple
baking
bike
birthday
Bread
breakfast
camp
camp fire
change
changing
chicken
Christmas
cookies
countdown
cousins
dad
dance
Dinner
Dinner recipe
Dylan
Easter
evening
fall
family
family photo
Fav
favorite
first day of school
fish
football
Friday nights
friends
funny
greatest hits
group
growing
growth
Halloween
hike
holidays
interview
Katrina
kids
lake
leaves
lego
lessons
love
major
motherhood
movie
muffins
musical
Nate
needs fixed
None
oz
photography
photos
pie
play
pool
quotes
recipe
recipes
ride
roller coaster
rolls
rough days
s'mores
Sara
Sauce
sauces
Science
setting
Sides
slider
smiles
snacks
soup
summer
summer bucket list
Sweets
T
team
test
Thanksgiving
traditions
Trent
Trent Birthday
video
walk
weekend
yogi
LINK list
Search This Blog




There will always be something else at the store - I bet you will live very comfortably without that toothpaste dispenser.
ReplyDeleteI belive you have a better understanding than most of what want and need.
ReplyDelete