Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

The Harder the Year, the Brighter the Leaves



"A kind old lady in Vermont said to us, ‘This year, the leaves are extra bright. It’s because of the drought. The stress put on the trees brings out their brightest colors‘. The harder the year, the brighter the leaves. The harder the life, if given the wisdom and luck to process it right…the brighter the smile, the deeper the empathy, the broader the kindness.”
-Jedidiah Jenkins



 It has become a tradition that Nate and I got on a walk together through the Autumn leaves on the Rail Trail.  It is my very favorite date we go on each year.  There is no fancy restaurant, no overpriced flowers, no hours spent on makeup and hair...it is just the two of us...talking and walking together.  On these walks, I can't help but be reminded of our days dating and falling in love while holding hands as we walked together in Bloomington. I am reminded of how we would dream of what life would be like in our future.  We would see a house and wonder what it would be like to own one together or see a baby and smile up at each other. Whenever we spend time alone on a walk it makes me fall in love with him all over, it makes me understand this lifelong journey we are on, and it still makes me want to have new adventures and grow old with my sweet man just like it did the very first time he held my hand as we walked together.  When we walk I see our past, the easy and the hard days, and I know our future will be filled with more of the same. Storms and drought may come and go on our journey but I have no doubt that this amazing man and I will only get better with time, just like the bright leaves that line our way.