Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

Time at the Farm


  I fell in love with farms when I moved to Illinois.  It was a combination of so many things that made up a lifestyle that I learned suited me far more then any city could.  I appreciated the time spent outdoors, the community that was needed for support in order to survive, and the way that each plant and animal served a purpose that was respected and understood.  I loved hearing on the news how the weather was affecting the crops and watching from the window as things were planted, grew and were cut.  I would notice as one field changed from corn one season to soy the next and then on the third season that field would be in furlough as everything, even a piece of earth, needs a season of rest.  I like the way old wood in a barn looks more than any brand new mansion and the sound of dirt and leaves under my feet far more than a smooth sidewalk.  So when it comes time to pick apples each year with my mom I am just giddy to go.  Watching the kids run in the apple orchard to find their perfect apples, and walk around looking at the animals and tasting the yummy farm fruits and vegetables is just something that I can not get enough of.  I know visiting a farm is far from actually owning one but I will take what I can get and I will always love knowing how big my kids smile with their feet in the dirt and their new apples in their hands.