With the start of a new school year comes the sense of busyness and opportunities for our family. I love school because of the experiences it provides the kids with and the friendships that they are able to make but sometimes it is hard not to feel a bit crazy in the bustle of it all. Now that school is in full swing we seem to have something going on at every moment. Whether we are headed to a robotics meeting, band or a playdate for the kids there is always something to do. It is nice to see the kids happy and hanging out with their friends and pursuing their interests and I never want to cut back on any of that so we have learned how to connect in the middle of it all. We have firm rules on there never being on electronics at the dinner table and always having dinner together whenever possible. I try and sneak in as many hugs as I can get in a day and spend time hearing about the kids day and asking them questions even if it is just on a car ride or while tucking them into bed. I have been trying to hang out with the kids during their free time and join in on what they enjoy doing, I might never be good at a video game or know how to play flute but I still enjoy spending that time with them. We do all these tiny things together like afternoon snack and family time before bed, to help us stay connected and to be honest, they are the parts of my day I love most. Our busy schedule does leave me wishing there were a few extra hours in each day but let's be honest we would probably fill those up too. So instead of wishing for more time I am trying to slow down and savor the moments we do have together and really make them count.
With the start of a new school year comes the sense of busyness and opportunities for our family. I love school because of the experiences it provides the kids with and the friendships that they are able to make but sometimes it is hard not to feel a bit crazy in the bustle of it all. Now that school is in full swing we seem to have something going on at every moment. Whether we are headed to a robotics meeting, band or a playdate for the kids there is always something to do. It is nice to see the kids happy and hanging out with their friends and pursuing their interests and I never want to cut back on any of that so we have learned how to connect in the middle of it all. We have firm rules on there never being on electronics at the dinner table and always having dinner together whenever possible. I try and sneak in as many hugs as I can get in a day and spend time hearing about the kids day and asking them questions even if it is just on a car ride or while tucking them into bed. I have been trying to hang out with the kids during their free time and join in on what they enjoy doing, I might never be good at a video game or know how to play flute but I still enjoy spending that time with them. We do all these tiny things together like afternoon snack and family time before bed, to help us stay connected and to be honest, they are the parts of my day I love most. Our busy schedule does leave me wishing there were a few extra hours in each day but let's be honest we would probably fill those up too. So instead of wishing for more time I am trying to slow down and savor the moments we do have together and really make them count.





