Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

He Cooks

 


I feel one of the hardest parts of being a kid is the desire to have an identity.  Every kid wants to be known for something and it is crucial for them to try activities to help them gain self-esteem and a sense of themself.  We have always told the kids to try anything and because of that, we have sat at basketball, soccer, football, karate, plays, band concerts and so much more.  They each have tried on many hats until they have found the ones that fit them best.

Dylan loves to cook.  I think the combination of a non-competitive hobby and the comforts of home mixed with his love for food makes it the perfect pastime for him. Cooking went from something Dylan helped me with, to something Dylan identifies himself as.  I love the sense of pride it gives him and his desire to learn more and try the next thing. The intersection of something that you can continue to learn and something that brings you joy makes for the happiest hobbies and the biggest sense of identity.  I love that Dylan identifies as a cook and I have loving watching him grow over the years and love knowing he will continue to grow even more in the future.

 
Our chef in the making.