Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

A Cheerful Heart

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength. (Proverbs 17:22, NLT)

 

I stood looking out of my window, holding my cup of coffee and listening to the distant sound. Once again it was the sound of chainsaws cutting trees that had been damaged from the tornado. I stared at my own trees and realized how much work we still had to do before our yard would be cleaned from all the fallen limbs. A few more months, I thought to myself, just a few more months and then the backyard can be cleaned up and we will be done. I felt my heart grow sad and the discouraging words began to pour in. I began to think, it won't look the same even when it is cleaned up, it still won't be as beautiful as it once was. I stood there looking at what work we still had ahead of us and how desperately I wanted it all to be over. I could feel it happening, I felt the clouds coming into my day and I stood there surrounded by my sadness. Then I heard my voice say what I tell my children everyday. A great day is only a positive attitude away (dorky, I know, but completely true). I could choose to start my day seeing the negative or I could look around me and realize all my blessings that I have. I am a happy person. It is who I am. I like to wear red shoes when everyone else wears black. I like to laugh a little to loud. I like smiling at someone I don't know just to watch them smile back. I don't worry about bad news until it is a fact and not just the unknown, and even then I realize what is in my control and what is out of my hands. I like being me and choosing to have a cheerful heart is a way that I stay true to myself. I would rather wash dirty dishes, fold laundry, and wipe runny noses for those I love then do any other job in the world. I am happy being the stay at home mom, I am happy being the housewife and I am happy being me. Sometimes my spirit might feel broken, but a quick look around and I can find so many reasons to have a cheerful heart and to choose to have a positive attitude towards my wonderful life.



Comments

  1. Yes, you are right - it is who you are - and I love that about you!

    Cute new blog design btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mic,

    I am so proud of you, Nate, and your family.

    Your mom and I are talking about when we can combine forces to spoil the grandchildren again.

    Loveya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog reminds me of someone who use to say "It's a brand new day..never been touched before." I pray for God's continued strength for all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment