Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

Treasures in the Bottom of My Purse



Last night I reached into an old bag to see what treasures I would find.  I was surprised when I pulled out this tiny hair bow for my little girl. After all, I just assumed it would be the usual broken crayons, crushed up crackers and a few fruit snacks that most of my purse bottoms have. (There is a reason I don't want a "fancy" purse. I am more of a functional mom then a hip one).   I brought the bow over to show Nate and I couldn't help but tear up a little while I looked at it.  When did our little girl get so big?  I don't remember ever putting it in her hair and saying this will be the last time she wears her baby bow.  Not that anything would have changed had I known, but maybe I would have held her a little closer and  kiss her a few more times knowing that in a blink of an eye my baby would not be a tiny baby anymore.  I went upstairs to tuck the boys in and realized again that things had changed.  There was one point where I never could have imagined not reading Trent "Good Night Dinosaur" before bed.  In fact I have read it so many times that I could recite the entire thing for you right now (but I won't) but now he reads his own stories at bedtime and often reads them to Dylan too.  It used to be that  Dylan every night would have me tell him the story of when he got to ride on a red combine and together we would say "and Dylan ate the candy corn all gone... The End".  We are a family that functions on routines and yet enjoys change but rarely do we realize a change is coming until it is passed.  My sweet children are changing everyday and the easy, and even hard moments, have passed in an instant but it never seems like it when you are in the middle of the day to day chaos.  When Trent cried endlessly with night terrors and headaches, and doctor visits filled our days and I had no sleep and we were worrying ourselves sick...that moment in time felt like years.  When we lived in a hotel and each time a child rolled over it would wake another, early mornings and stresses over insurance and tears every time it rained felt like forever.  The days after Dylan was born and I just wanted to hold my baby as doctors told me nothing was wrong with me (FYI: they were wrong)  felt like a lifetime.  But when I stand back and really look hard at my life I realize how quickly each moment has passed by me.  So for now I will continue to enjoy our nighttime song and the way we use our made up sign language (this routine started long before learning real ASL) to say I love you today and I love you for always.  I know that these little things that right now are our daily routines, one day will pass and something new will start.  While it is hard to say goodbye to one stage, I am always excited to see the way our children will change as they continue to grow and what will happen on the next page of our story.  Today, contrary to most changes in our family we are actually aware of a milestone in our life.  Today is Nate's last day with his current job.   I am excited to see what comes from his next career but mostly I am excited to see him get up in the morning and be happy to go into work. I know he will always rather stay home and hang out with his family, but it will be nice to have him leaving for a job that he enjoys.  We have repeatedly (probably to the point of driving Nate crazy) talked about him finding a job that he loves and that trying something new is worth it because then he at least has a chance of finding something he enjoys. I really think this next job gives him that opportunity to really be excited about work.  I am so incredibly proud of him and happy for him!!!  This is a change that we welcome and I couldn't be happier about.

Told you we were excited! :)

Comments

  1. We couldn't agree more !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post. Nate congrats!!!!!
    Hoping only the best for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment