Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

Finding Treasure

The kids and I recently learned of a treasure map that takes you on a trail in our town and in the end the kids get a prize.  The kids and I can't get enough of hikes and just had to try it.  The map had us looking for many things on the way. For example, how many types of flowers can you see?  Can you find a birch tree (the state tree of NH)?  Look for a large tree that has fallen.  Discover why it is important?  When we made it to the "treasure" the kids were excited.  They signed a book that was left for kids who had completed the treasure hunt and noticed tons of other kids who had done the same hike from all over the country.   It was a rewarding hike but Trent made an interesting comment that left me thinking.  He said, "I liked the hike even better than the prize!"  It is so true that sometimes the journey is far better than the destination.


  On the hike, they discovered all kinds of things they loved. For example, we found this field that Aliya just could not get enough of.   She even asked me "can you take pictures of me here, because I want to dream about it later and I need  to remember exactly how it looked."



  They discovered beautiful gardens and hidden benches under giant trees.


  The kids even got to go in an old Wigwam that was made just like the Native Americans used to make them who originally lived on this land.

So the prize of "gold" (painted gold rocks) was wonderful, but really the journey to find it was the very best part.