In life I've learned more from my failures than I have for my successes. For example I once cooked Ginger carrots. I made them according to the recipe following every detail to a T and I was excited to try something new for dinner. I was a new wife putting a new food down in front of my husband. I fully expected a great big hug and a kiss and a "baby you're the best cook in the world" kind of comment but instead I got a "oh no, what do I say" gaze as he slowly chewed. I quickly tried them too and learned that... yes, they were horrible! As a new wife my first response was to feel like I was going to cry as I clearly was not cut out for cooking. However, quickly I realized I would have many, many, many years of trying out new recipes on my hubby and life long taste tester and there just would be no way for us to succeed without me failing from time to time. I'm happy to say that after all of these years we have tried hundreds of recipes that we love and many that have been forgotten but we will never forget our Ginger carrots and that failure is necessary in learning.
When it comes to sending the kids off to school I try and remind them that no matter what the experience is, they have the opportunity to learn. We are not looking for perfection, in fact we are not even looking at grades that come home. We are looking at effort. We are watching them fall, struggle, get back up and succeed. We are making them snacks while they spend hours studying and bringing them paper and erasers while they try again. We see growth in them on a daily basis not on a report card. It is hard to have your kids up against measurements that are so black and white in comparison to the children who I know are a huge array of color. My kids struggle in different subjects and for all different reasons but whatever the reason those struggles are not their failures.
Kiddos,
I know this year will be hard. I know you will struggle. I know you will fall. I also know you will get back up and I know that you will succeed. Always know that those hard lessons will be the lessons that you remember the most. I hope you never see yourself as successful based on the standard measurement or people's opinions but always based on who you are and how hard you worked to get there. It is okay not to be perfect at everything. It is ok to know your strengths as well as weaknesses, in fact that will only make you a better person. Just put forth your best effort and learn through it all. You've got this.
Always and forever,
Mom xoxox


