With my kids growing up and becoming teens I have hit a new stage of being a mom. They do not need me to do near as many things for them, in fact, they often need me not to do them. They need me not to do the laundry, cooking or chores so they can learn for themselves and even if it isn't how I would have done it it is of more benefit to our family to have them learning then me continuing to provide. I am their ally, the one who is beside them providing support and resources but not single-handedly taking over their struggles. It is a huge shift in parenting that I am having to remind myself of on a daily basis. Couldn't I just go throw those sheets in the wash? Can't I just quickly pack their things for school in the morning? Wouldn't it be easier if I just emailed their teacher and got them out of that hard assignment? These are questions that pop into my mind each day and I am constantly reminding myself that I am an ally. Supporting my kiddos, yes, taking over for them, no. We are to work together and in order for us to do that I have to allow them to also do their part of the work. I am a huge believer that confidence and growth come out of failing but the hardest thing to actually do is to allow your child the chance to fail. However, the chance to fail also means the chance to succeed and that is something I don't want to rob my children of. So at this moment, my home may be filled with half-made beds, laundry in transition, and homework piles but they are a sign that I am doing my job as an ally and my kids are doing an amazing job learning to soar.
With my kids growing up and becoming teens I have hit a new stage of being a mom. They do not need me to do near as many things for them, in fact, they often need me not to do them. They need me not to do the laundry, cooking or chores so they can learn for themselves and even if it isn't how I would have done it it is of more benefit to our family to have them learning then me continuing to provide. I am their ally, the one who is beside them providing support and resources but not single-handedly taking over their struggles. It is a huge shift in parenting that I am having to remind myself of on a daily basis. Couldn't I just go throw those sheets in the wash? Can't I just quickly pack their things for school in the morning? Wouldn't it be easier if I just emailed their teacher and got them out of that hard assignment? These are questions that pop into my mind each day and I am constantly reminding myself that I am an ally. Supporting my kiddos, yes, taking over for them, no. We are to work together and in order for us to do that I have to allow them to also do their part of the work. I am a huge believer that confidence and growth come out of failing but the hardest thing to actually do is to allow your child the chance to fail. However, the chance to fail also means the chance to succeed and that is something I don't want to rob my children of. So at this moment, my home may be filled with half-made beds, laundry in transition, and homework piles but they are a sign that I am doing my job as an ally and my kids are doing an amazing job learning to soar.



