Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

Time in the Woods

I recently read the book Last Child in the Woods that spoke about the odd world we have created that separates and even "protects" kids from nature.  We have provided a childhood where kids have no need to just "go outside and play". While the book is far from perfect in every thought,  I did notice many truths.  Nate and I grew up being outside more then inside, and we desire to give our children the same.  We send our kids outside to play and not only do they do it, but it is their favorite time of day!!

 We don't go a day with out spending time in nature and the more I get to know my children the more essential I realize this time is.  Our children are nature kids...rain, snow and shine. They are bird watching, seed planting, tree climbing, frog catching children. They know many things from just being in nature that I never taught them from any book.  Dylan, especially, loves the outdoors in a way that is unexplainable.  He once asked me if he could sleep in a tree and this love for nature has never changed.  The woods gives him a escape and a place where he feels most confident.  Outdoors is the world where he is king.  I am thankful for their outdoor passion and hope they never loose their love that they have formed at such a young age.