Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

Horseshoe Happieness

Horseshoe Sandwiches are an Illinois thing.  Originated in Springfield they are a local favorite but I wanted to bring this Illinois favorite here to New Hampshire.  When I served these to the kids they were a combination of speechless because they couldn't stop eating long enough to talk) and overwhelmed with joyful praise.  Dylan said these are one of my new favorite meals.  These are now going onto the long list of loved foods in our home to be enjoyed time and time again.

There is nothing to this dinner.  Toasted bread, topped with a hamburger patty (I have seen it served with chicken tenders instead), then piled with crispy fries and smothered in cheese sauce.  We are still working out the kinks to our cheese sauce but here is what we came up with so far.  Dylan was an excellent help while I made it telling me "I think it just needs a pinch of something else" and then on his final taste test saying "it is perfect don't add anything more"!  I love having his help in the kitchen!


Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup GF all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups shredded SHARP Cheddar cheese
salt and ground black pepper to taste
dash of cayenne
1/4 tsp mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Cook while stirring constantly for 4 minutes to cook out the flavor of raw flour. Gradually whisk in
the half-and-half so that no lumps form. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat
and add the cheese; stir until melted and add seasonings.  Serve immediately while very hot.