Read Past Stories

Our Latest Stories

More Than Hugs

Aliya is not always a huggy girl.  There are many moments when she wants to snuggle up or runs up to me to hold my hand while we walk in the grocery store but at other times she is the exact opposite shying away from any physical contact.  I am a very physically affectionate person but have really tried to learn that love can be shown in many different ways.  I never want my daughter, or my sons for that matter, to feel they are require to give physical affection on demand and as they have grown I am learning more and more to show them that they are in charge of that aspect of their life.  When Aliya and I read together it is like her own kind of hug. Sneaking off together and reading books is one of the most special things we do. This year we have Little House in the Big Woods, Ramona Quimby, Age 8, and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret as well as a few more that I can't recall at the moment. Reading these books that I remember from my childhood with my little girl is so special. I enjoy watching Aliya fall in love with the same characters that I fell in love with at her age. At the end of reading together I always walk away feeling loved. It our thing. It is our hug without a hug.